Monday, March 22, 2010

In the ZONE

In the afternoons when Chapstick and I go running, I always plan on using that time to mull over something that I haven't had a lot of time to think about. I always have these big plans for figuring out a solution to whatever problem I am currently facing, but once I start running, I somehow forget everything that is around me, and zone out. When I am coming up the street at the end of our run, I think to myself, "Dangit, I meant to think about _____." I then try to remember what I was thinking about during our run, but I can never remember. I love that my body and God knows that for that 45 minutes, I need to shut down my thinking and just run. I think that's why I love doing it so much-I love that it is complete "me" time. I love that I can space out with my headphones on, and the whole world just melts away; I don't have anything to worry about except for taking my next step. It is a beautiful thing, and I mean that with total honesty.

I was noticing today while we were running, that spring has sprung. The buds on the trees are swelling just a little bit more and there are tulips starting to come up with the daffodils. Mommie and I have always talked about how much we love the beginning of spring, right when everything turns green. We both love how bight and vivid the colors are and how refreshing it is in comparison to the dreary winter scenes we have been used to for the last 3 months.

Speaking of which-the spring break countdown is at 4 days. I am looking forward to having a handful of days to chill out and do what I want. I am really hoping that Chapstick and I can do some serious gardening, which is interesting because I have always hated the idea of plants and flowers, mainly because Matt and I don't like taking care of them. We had kind of decided we didn't want kids because we would have to take care of them (pitiful, I know). But since having Chapstick, I have discovered that I enjoy taking care of something else; I like knowing that I am needed and I am responsible for another little life. I have gotten such joy from taking care of our little baby, so I feel like maybe the outside of our house can use some sprucing up, and I will be successful at keeping all the plants alive, too. I have these images in my head of summer afternoons spent in the front yard with a slight breeze, Chapstick snoozing in the yard (yeah right, that dog would be darting all over the place and running away) as I tend to our flower beds. Nice thought, huh?


No comments:

Post a Comment